SMRA provides communication at various points around the course – mainly for safety concerns, but also for reporting rider progress, need for supplies, etc.
Here are some benefits to helping out at a bike races
- Learn to use radios in the field and sometimes in areas that is almost impossible to use radio.
- Practice mobile operating.
- Learning how to work together with others who have the same interests.
- We help people who are injured.
- We provide a feeling of safety for the riders. (Riders always tell me thank for your time to help keep them safe)
- Entered for a chance to win a prize at the end of the year from the club for helping out
- Gratitude we get from the riders and race officials. (I constantly get thanked by Riders and officials for helping to keep them safe)
- Each bike race donates money to the club. This helps keep our monthly membership fees so low among other things!
Here is a tentative schedule of the races SMRA will be supporting:
2015 Events / Bike races
I urge all of you to clear your calendars and participate in as many as you can.
Besides providing a necessary safety service to the bike races, our participation also serves as:
- Excellent training exercises for emergencies in the field, using portable, battery-powered equipment.
- A chance to spend the day in beautiful Michaux Forest. There will be plenty of time for bird watching.
- a day of fun
- The way we fund SMRA activities and keep our dues low.
What do you need?
Here is a list of recommended items:
- 2m mobile rig (15 watt min), rooftop antenna (don’t have your own – we might be able to arrange a loaner)
- Note paper
- Coat and hat per season
- Snacks and beverages (WATER! LOTS OF WATER!)
- Callsign badge or hat
- Folding chair
- GPS receiver
- Reading material
- Cell Phone
- Camera and spare battery/film/memory
- Kleenex/toilet paper/paper towels
- HT to monitor optional simplex channel
- Bug spray per season
- Garbage bag
- 2m vertical beam, mast, coax, tripod/support
To sign up for the events on the website.
- Go here for the list of races http://n3twt.org/club-events/bike-races-2015
- click on the race you would like to sign up for
- Scroll down and pick the number of people for which part of the race you can help out with
- Scroll down to the bottom and click the “CLICK HERE to send your booking” button.
- If you are not logged into the website please do so before sending your booking. That will prevent the need to fill out all the information fields.
If you need help logging in to the website you can watch the tutorial vides we made here http://n3twt.org/how-to