SMRA provides communication at various points around the course – mainly for safety concerns, but also for reporting rider progress, need for supplies, etc.
Here are some benefits to helping out at a bike races
- Learn to use radios in the field and sometimes in areas that is almost impossible to use radio.
- Practice mobile operating.
- Learning how to work together with others who have the same interests.
- We help people who are injured.
- We provide a feeling of safety for the riders. (Riders always tell me thank for your time to help keep them safe)
- Entered for a chance to win a prize at the end of the year from the club for helping out
- Gratitude we get from the riders and race officials. (I constantly get thanked by Riders and officials for helping to keep them safe)
- Each bike race donates money to the club. This helps keep our monthly membership fees so low among other things!
Here is a tentative schedule of the races SMRA will be supporting:
Events / Bike races (tentative)
• 15 July G’burg Bicycle – Dark Hollow
• 19 Aug MORE – Dual Sport Motorcycle
·• 9 Sept South Penn Enduro Riders
·• 16 Sept G’burg Bicycle – Terror of Teaberry
I urge all of you to clear your calendars and participate in as many as you can.
Besides providing a necessary safety service to the bike races, our participation also serves as:
- Excellent training exercises for emergencies in the field, using portable, battery-powered equipment.
- A chance to spend the day in beautiful Michaux Forest. There will be plenty of time for bird watching.
- a day of fun
- The way we fund SMRA activities and keep our dues low.
What do you need?
Here is a list of recommended items:
- 2m mobile rig (15 watt min), rooftop antenna (don’t have your own – we might be able to arrange a loaner)
- Note paper
- Coat and hat per season
- Snacks and beverages (WATER! LOTS OF WATER!)
- Callsign badge or hat
- Folding chair
- GPS receiver
- Reading material
- Cell Phone
- Camera and spare battery/film/memory
- Kleenex/toilet paper/paper towels
- HT to monitor optional simplex channel
- Bug spray per season
- Garbage bag
- 2m vertical beam, mast, coax, tripod/support
For more information, contact Jon Geissinger W3JON